Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dystopia Galore

I'm sure you've all noticed the massive amounts of dystopian literature out there lately.  I for one love it and can't wait to get my hands on some of these books.  Here's the question though - Why do you think we love to read about screwed up societies?  I mean the demand for the books is obviously out there.  Here's a little confession:  The only dystopian novel I've read is the Hunger Games series, which was great, although the ending was a little less than peachy, and I like me some happy endings.  so what is it about these books that make us want to read them?  I have a couple theories.

1. The grass is NOT greener - Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that as crappy and messed up as our world seems at times, at least we haven't enslaved each other or turned to impregnating teenagers in order to propagate the human race.  I think it makes us feel better about our lives.
2. Ghost of Christmas Future - Our world keeps getting a little more crazy every day.  Many people think our world is headed toward something like the worlds portrayed in dystopian novels.  I think we all feel better able to cope with things when we've had a little more time to process them. 

Who knows why we like to read these books!  Plus aren't the covers gorgeous?  All I know, is I can't wait to get my hands on the titles above!  What's your favorite dystopian novel?

1 comment:

Gabbie said...

Ooohh Hunger Games is probably my most favourite Dystopia but I also liked Enclave by Ann Aguirre and Matched by Ally Condie - can't seem to think of any others atm.
Love the covers except the first one because my computer is stupid and it won't show it :(